Another, yes, another breakfast freak out. It’s like my toddler is surprised to be told to sit in his highchair for breakfast every SINGLE morning.
And after I catch my breath from wrangling him and am able
to tune out the high-pitched whine, I sit here to contemplate what I can learn
from this. I could be angry with him and get wound up in my emotions, but that
would be just as silly as his determined meltdown.
First of all, I am thankful for experienced parent friends
who have encouraged me to be strong and not give in to his meltdowns and cater
to his every whim. Because of their wisdom, I have followed through in the past
and know that these rules are worth having. I know that if he learns (again)
this morning that I mean what I say, then the rest of the day will be much more
pleasant for both of us.
Second, the correlation of his behavior to how I behave with God is almost too obvious. God tells to me to do something, a reasonable rule, and when it is actually time to obey, I freak out and follow my own emotions. That always causes true discomfort – the consequence of my disobedience.
To get more personal, I have seen this play out in my
relationship with my husband. God has told me to respect and submit to him. I
think that is reasonable and a good rule. Except when I really want something
that my husband doesn’t. Then, I set myself up as the more “respectable” and “wiser”
spouse and do what I want or whine to get my own way. But I never get what I
really want this way. I get a wedge between me and my husband, not love.
Instead of enjoyment of my “freedom,” I get the real discomfort of a damaged relationship.
But when I give in and obey God, reconciling with my husband, life is much more
pleasant for me again.
So, I can be thankful for toddler tantrums.
God is using them to teach me about how to behave before Him.
God uses them to grow patience and humility in me. He is strengthening my
character by using them to grow faithfulness in me. But most of all, those
tantrums make me thankful for how God behaves toward me.
Okay. It’s time to go hold a little boy who would rather be
throwing himself on the floor…

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.