Gentle evening light,
Happy songs of birds,
Green leaves just fluttering in the silent breeze.
Fireflies twinkling as they rise from the grass,
Children laughing and playing in the summer twilight,
The simple, tuned music of crickets.
Warm, unfeelable air gently wrapping around my bare arms,
Sugary scents of flowers flow to my nose
As I sit here and watch the glories
Of the sunlight turning to deep blue,
The trees in front of me becoming silhouettes along the way.
Why, oh why, does my heart sing so? Why do I smile as I sit
by myself doing and watching “nothing”? It is my God. Oh, in his goodness he
has created me to find pleasure in what he has created. As I sit here and soak
in the beauty of the summer twilight, I am continually praising Him. Why was he
so good as to provide this good, green earth? My heart is full of contentment
in him.
Right now we do not have any patio furniture, so I’m sitting
on two couch pillows, leaning against the warm brick of our house, looking
beyond the deck to the green yard around me. My mind is enjoying surveying the
land and dreaming up plans of how I will improve it. Isn’t that what God made
man for? It gives me joy to envision the shrubs that I will plant and flowers
that I will culture. It isn’t that I am unhappy with what I see – it is that I
am supremely content to enjoy the beauty of the land and to think that I might
be of some use in
progressing it.
My heart is so full and thankful. Thankful for summer. Thankful for twilight. Thankful for a house with a space of green to call our own. Thankful, most of all, that God has set this joy within me.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.